Saturday 18 September 2010

Research, Reading & Richard Armitage


There's one thing guaranteed to consume hours of my time and get me nowhere and that's researching my great-grandfather. Now, I know where he was born, died, served in the 17th Lancers, etc, but what I need is a photo of this man. Unfortunately he died in 1922 and my great-grandmother was so enraged at his dying so young that she burnt every photograph she had of him. My grandmother, an only child, never had one. My father, now in his seventies has always desperately wanted to see a picture of his grandfather, especially as he was always told how he was the image of him. It's all so frustrating. I think the next thing to do is write to a local newspaper to see if anyone in the area - Badbrook, Stroud - knows of anyone related to the family. And on it goes...

This weekend I'm going to spend time lazing in the conservatory, Earl Grey tea at the ready, Grumps snoring on the large cushion on the back rest of the two-seater and read, A Weekend With Mr Darcy. I've been trying not to add too many books to my TBR pile, but obviously lack the book-buying-discipline gene.

Summer is definitely over, but I do enjoy Autumn, not only because the glorious colours throughout the garden and the thought of lighting the fire once again in the sitting room, but also because the tv programmes seem so much better. Spooks is back on Monday and I can't wait, and although Sas and Rob will roll their eyes heavenward and groan at my adoration, they will, at least with this programme, sit quietly and enjoy it too, something they never did when I was absorbed by Robin Hood. Talking of which, I watched Russell Crowe's version last night and I know I'm useless at recognizing accents, but I distinctly heard his irish accent morph into a Liverpudlian one. What was that all about?

23 comments:

Queenie said...

I haven't got that gene either.

Pauline Barclay said...

Family history how they make the future generations works to try and learn about them. Our familes are just the same and it is so frustrating! Hoping you do get a picture of your great grandfather. x

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

Queenie - There's no hope for me really when it comes to buying or not buying books.

Pauline - Me too, but I've been searching for a few years now and am running out of ideas.

Troy said...

That is so sad about your g-gm burning all the photos. Fingers crossed you ultimately find one although it will need a miracle.

What is with all you lady bloggers - you all seem to be besotted with either Richard Armitage or David Tennant?

Feisty Crone said...

I don't have the gene either, but I do try. Amazon has lots of used books, and I save some money that way. Have a wonderful weekend!

Phillipa said...

Hi Debs... Russel was challenged on his funny 'Oirish; accent by Radio 4 - and had a strop and walked out.

I can't wait for the new Spooks, either. :)

HelenMWalters said...

Of course, the best thing about autumn is that X Factor is back ...

Anna Scott Graham said...

I am SO READY for autumn!! Our first rain will make my day...

One of my cousins was tracking down our great-great grandfather, and finally found a photograph; he was over the moon! I'll be thinking good thoughts for your photo to be uncovered. Funny to think our generation and those subsequent will NEVER have that problem...

DJ Kirkby said...

I enjoy all of the seasons but autumn is lovely because winter is hinted at but not actually here being all cold and horrid :).

Chris Stovell said...

Earl Grey in the conservatory sounds good. I'm looking at grey skies and feeling chilly so will have to take some warm thought away from your blog instead.

DAB said...

I soooo love autumn too :) TFx

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

troy - thanks, it will certainly take a miracle to find one.

I've no idea what it is about RA, but I've just read two interviews with him in the Sunday papers and am ignoring my daughter & husband's amusement at my interest.

gran - hope you have a great weekend too.

phillipa - It wouldn't have been so bad if his accent had remained the same throughout, but it kept changing drastically from scene to scene.

helen - even I've succumbed to watching X-Factor, and that's saying something. My daughter, an avid fan, is delighted.

anna - I'm so thrilled for your cousin and can only imagine how delighed he/she was. I do hope I manage to do the same somehow.

dj kirkby - it's another glorious day today and a couple of weeks ago I'd have been sunbathing. I am enjoying it though.

chris - it is warm here today and I'm in a t-shirt, but not sunbathing weather unfortunately.

tf - me too.

Suzanne Ross Jones said...

I agree with Helen - yay for X Factor. But we're so cold up here the heating's been on for weeks.

XX

Kath said...

There's a book-buying-discipline gene?!? Where the heck was I when they handed that one out?

Autumn is my favourite season, although this year it seems to have got cold far too quickly. However, I have lots of books to snuggle up and read, a pussy cat who thinks I'm a sofa to keep me warm - and Spooks coming back, for when I really need to heat things up!

Faye said...

So slow! Just got the name for your writing and thinking retreat--the "plotting shed". Very clever Debs! Understand that need to know what ancestors looked like. I have only one photo of a much admired grandfather--wish there were more. Are there some military archives that would aid your search?

Can't wait for your review of the first Spooks 9 program. We're still waiting for Series 8 on DVD in the U.S. Although, there's a kind sould who uploads the whole season on youTube. Bless him. I wan't tempted to see the new Robin Hood because RC can be such a twit. How does it compare with RA Robin Hood?

Faye said...

Oops! This commenter should proof her writing. Sorry for the typos.

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

suzanne - I'm going to light a fire tonight, can't wait. I have to admit to loving X-Factor now, but it's taken time to get into it for me.

kath - it's lovely having a pet to cuddle up to. Mine will only cuddle for so long, then moves on to the next person. So fickle.

faye - thanks for liking the 'plotting shed'.

I've tried contacting his old regimental museum and all sorts of leads, but nothing yet. I'll keep going though, I'm nothing if not tenacious.

I much preferred the RA version, but then I'm biased, so it's probably not fair of me to say so.

Carol said...

I will keep my fingers crossed that you manage to get a picture of your great grandfather! Have you tried the army records? They might have one (just a thought!)

C x

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

carol - many thanks. I've written to his old regiment and have his army records, but no photo so far. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Amanda said...

I love genealogy - but like you say, it can consume so much time. I haven't dabbled for a while for that very reason. I really should x

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

amanda - I can't imagine how much time I've wasted over the years and I've only been looking for information on this one man!

Anonymous said...

Try the local churches too. We had a photo turn up of a choir at our church that helped someone identify their ancestor. Good luck! :O)

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

madeleine - thanks for the tip, I'll do that.