Saturday 6 February 2016

Writing Ambitions

I love writing, then again who would spend most of their free time doing something they didn't enjoy? For years though I've had a vision of how what I'd like to achieve with my books. Some of the things I have managed to achieve, getting a fabulous agent, signing a four-book deal with a publisher (for my Georgina Troy Jersey Scene series), seeing my books in our local Waterstones and both being in the Top Ten book charts for several weeks, and ultimately seeing Broken Faces in print - or at least ebook for the time being. Each of those events were incredibly exciting.

However, I now don't feel the need to become a Booker Prize winner, probably because I can't imagine that ever happening to me, or one of my books. I don't see myself becoming the next Barbara Taylor-Bradford, or Gillian Flynn, but I do see myself carrying on with my writing and working hard to write the best books possible. I'm going to continue spending long happy hours writing in my shed, or outside in the garden and enjoying creating characters and plotlines and working on them until the book is good enough (in my eyes) to be published. 

I don't see this as lowering my expectations, though maybe it is, but after a year of changes, family illnesses and the loss of two relations, all I really want is to make the most of my life and enjoy every moment, even on cold, miserable days like today.

Do you have writing ambitions that might have altered since you first began writing?

7 comments:

B.E. Sanderson said...

I'm so happy for you and the things you've accomplished. You've come a long way since the old Novel Racers days. (LOL, haven't we all.) :hugs:

Ugh, when I think back to my ambitions when I started this, so much has changed. I never thought I'd self-publish. I was so sure I'd have an agent super-quick and get published soon after. Now, here I am 12 years later with 4 books out and another on its way - all on my own. I'll probably never see my books on the shelves of the brick-n-mortar stores or get any writerly prizes, but people are reading my words, and that was really the point at the beginning. =o)

Deborah Carr said...

Thanks very much, we all seem to have come a long way since the Novel Racer days.

I also think publishing has come far since those days. Back then I wouldn't consider self-publishing, now I realise it's a great way of being published and having some control over the books you've written.

Congratulations on nearly having out five books! That's such a huge achievement. :)

Rosemary Gemmell said...

You've already accomplished a lot, Debs - well done for that! I don't really have any great ambitions and never had as I'm far too much of a procrastinator to get as much written as I should. I did, however, very much want The Highland Lass published and enjoyed by those who read it, so I'm glad that has happened.

Deborah Carr said...

You've achieved so much, Rosemary. I'm glad The Highland Lass was published and well received, as it should have been.

Flowerpot said...

You've achieved a huge amount Debs. As for Booker Prize winners - I can never make head nor tail of those books shortlisted, usually, so I'm glad hyou\'re sticking to writing books I can understand! X

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

Thanks, Sue. I have to admit that I can't recall enjoying one of those books and much prefer books that are more fun.

Castmy said...

Amazing I really love writing then again who would spend most of our free time doing something they which we was not enjoying through best essay writing sites.For years though I have a vision of how what I have like to achieve with my books.