Thursday 7 August 2008

Happy Birthday, Non-fires & Retail Therapy

Happy Birthday to my gorgeous God-Mother. I don't normally mention everyone's birthdays but it is a significant one for her today, though I shan't say which. Suffice to say that she is one of life's true gems and great fun with it.

Today, just before lunchtime, there was an awful electrical burning smell coming from our Chairman's office. Now I'm four floors up and naturally it was raining for the first time in days, so determined to be prepared, I made sure my bag (not allowed to take them but I could have said I was off to lunch and hope that no-one noticed I'd already been) and my umbrella were to hand . After various checks, it transpired that it was nothing much at all and duly sorted out. I wasn't thrilled as despite the weather, I was rather looking forward to leaving early.

I've had a bit of a writing break this week and I think that focusing on other things, namely J, S and S-S#4, has helped give me a slam-dunkin' (no idea what that is and hope it isn't rude) idea and am back on track. I think this was helped by a little retail therapy (mental note to self: get to postman before R sees box of yet more books being delivered) and Series One of The Tudors. I have a box of Maltesers cooling in the fridge and as soon as I get a second, I'm going to slouch in front of the tv and feast my eyes on J Rhys-Meyers and my stomach on chocolate. Bliss.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

There is no such thing as buying too many books...at least that's what I keep telling my wife. ;-)

Jenny Beattie said...

Yup, I agree with the above, despite what I said over at mine a week or so ago. I lied. It's impossible!

I could really do with Maltesers tonight...

HelenMWalters said...

Maltesers in the fridge - that sounds like heaven x

Anonymous said...

How about Champagne Truffles and Mr Rhys-Meyers? Now thats Heaven! Hope your God Mother had a Happy Birthday! x

Lane Mathias said...

The best ideas always come when doing other things don't they. I find Maltesers always help too, especially a box of them!

Hope your God Mother had a lovely day:-)

Michelle said...

I think buying books is an actual addiction. Wonder what it could be called? Compulsion to steal...kleptomaniac. Compulsion to burn stuff...pyromaniac. Compulsion to buy books...bibliomaniac? I am definitely in the last category, although I secretly seek out small unwanted combustable items to add to our wood burner...just something about a fire!!!! I am already ordering more books from the Book People and my man raises eyebrows every time a new box is discovered in our outdoor store from our postie!!
Enjoy Maltesers, there really is something special about them chilled!
Love
Michelle
x

Carol said...

Sounds like you have a rather lovely evening planned!!! Maltesers....yum!!

I can't wait to get book shopping when I'm over in September. I plan to spend at least an entire afternoon browsing....luckily husband loves doing that too. I can just picture it.....

C x

Chris Stovell said...

Books, Malteser and JRM... hmmm! Move over, I've coming round to your house!

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

chad aaron sayban - I completely agree with you.

jj - I hope you have a good flight home and are not too miserable at the end of your trip.

helenmh - they certainly are.

motherx - oh yes, yum (for the choc and Mr RM).

She had a lovely day thanks.

lane - they do and I think it's because we're probably not trying to think too hard of something.

She had a lovely day, thanks.

michelle - I'm definately a bibliomaniac and also love finding things to burn on my fire too. Maybe it's a writerly thing.

carol - it was, thanks.

My favourite kind of shopping, books, books and yet more books. Wonderful.

chrish - you're more than welcome.

Yvonne said...

Oh your evening sounds so good! I haven't watched The Tudors yet, I must check it out.

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

yvonne - you really should. Pure escapism, lovely stuff.