Wednesday 17 March 2010

St Patrick's Day & Pure Passion Awards

Happy St Patrick's Day. All my grandparents were born in Ireland, apart from my paternal grandmother who was born in India as her father was stationed there with the 17th Lancers. However, despite having so much Irish blood coursing through my veins, I've never actually visited there, but fully intend doing so, at some point. Naturally, the fact that I've never visited my ancestral roots doesn't stop me from celebrating today.

Yesterday was the Romantic Novelist Association's 50th Anniversary Pure Passion Awards Lunch hosted by Barry Norman, where Maeve Binchy and Joanna Trollope were both awarded Lifetime Achievement Awards.


The Romantic Novel of the Year was won by Lucy Dillon's Lost Dogs & Lonely Hearts. The Love Story of the Year was won by Nell Dixon’s Animal Instincts, published by Little Black Dress. To find out more about the awards please go here.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to go as I had a client arriving yesterday afternoon for meetings this morning, and as much as I would have gone to London for the Lunch, I couldn't risk not being back for dinner last night at Longueville Manor, which I have to admit was fabulous. Each course was presented like a work of art on the plate and tasted heavenly. I have to admit that the meal did go a little way to compensate me for missing out on such a great day in London, but only a very little way.

The RNA events are always well organized and great fun. I'll just have to look forward to the Conference in July, which is the weekend before I take an exam for work. The exam is, wait for it, Trust Creation: Law & Practice Exam, and yes, it's as interesting as it sounds...

15 comments:

Chris Stovell said...

I love the cover of Lucy Dillon's book. She must be over the moon with her award. Congrats to all winners - shame we weren't there. Will you be at the summer party?

Kaye Manro said...

Happy St. Patrick's Day, Debs.

Sorry you missed the awards.

Denise Covey said...

I am impressed with Longueville Manor. Sounds scrumptious!

Suzanne Ross Jones said...

Belated Happy St Patrick's Day, Debs.

X

B.E. Sanderson said...

Happy belated St. Patrick's Day! =o)

Troy said...

I'm amazed that you are crammed full of Irish blood but have never visited Ireland. Time for a pilgrimage, me thinks! (or even two - to be sure, to be sure).

HelenMWalters said...

You must go to Ireland. Specifically, Dublin. Not to be missed.

Carol said...

I couldn't agree with Helen more..Dublin is fab!! I think you would love it!!

C x

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

chris - I must read this book, it looks really good (love the cover too).

I was so sorry not to be able to miss the lunch, but will be at the Conference in July. Can't wait.

kaye - many thanks.

I'll go next year, but was sorry to miss 50th Anniversary 'do'.

L'Aussie - the food was a work of art and tasted as good as it looked.

suzanne - many thanks.

BE Sanderson - and to you.

troy - I know. It's dreadful. I'm probably the only one of my family who hasn't gone, but long to do so.

helen - my brother is engaged to a lovely girl from Ireland, so I'm hoping to have an excuse to go there for their wedding.

carol - I'm sure I would. I've only ever heard wonderful things about the place.

Amanda said...

Happy belated St. Patrick's Day, Debs - my granddad was from Cliffoney - and I'm proud of my teeny bit of Irish blood! x

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

amanda - thank you, me too.

Flowerpot said...

Oh I loved that book - though of course being a dog lover has a lot to do with it! I bought it for myself for Christmas!

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

flowerpot - I can't wait to read it, although looking at my tbr pile and the way it's growing, it could be a little while yet unfortunately.

Faye said...

Do you have any of your grandmother's mementos from India, Debs? Glad the evening was pleasant, but I could tell your heart was elsewhere!

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

faye - unfortunately no. My grandmother didn't keep much at all and I've spent years trying to locate a photo of her father.