Saturday 13 March 2010

An Education & My To Do List

For Mothers' Day, Sas kindly bought me the DVD of An Education and as she's with her father all weekend (this is a once a month event so I won't see her until Sunday evening) she gave it to me yesterday and said to watch the it when I wanted. So last night, I did and it was excellent. Carey Mulligan is such a talented actress and was so good in the film, as was Peter Sarsgaard and Dominic Cooper. Rosamund Pike looked so beautiful and the clothes she wore in the film were fabulous. I'll definately watch this again.

Thanks for all the comments both here and at Shedblog regarding my shed. I looked at the photos again and can't believe how much more I now have in the shed. In fact, dare I say it, in those photos the shed looks positively bare inside. I've now replaced the white plastic chair in the photos with a gorgeous pink Lloyd Loom chair; my laptop has been replaced by a smaller, Samsung NC10; there's more driftwood (though I'm not sure how that's supposed to help any writing efforts); more pictures and notes on the walls; and definately more paperwork on that back table.

This weekend I'm determined to do the following:
- Finish & send off next assignment
- Continue with my WIP
- Finish reading Luxury by Jessica Ruston - I'll be reviewing this book for Novelicious
- Plant 30 Primroses that Rob bought me last week in the garden - the shed and conservatory can have a couple too.

I submitted a short story to a magazine yesterday, which was vastly improved thanks to my on-line writing group and their helpful comments. Thank you ladies.

So what plans do you have for this weekend?

16 comments:

HelenMWalters said...

You have got a busy weekend coming up. I'm just hoping to get lots of writing done.

Good luck with the short story. So excited for you.

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

helen - It's the sort of weekend I enjoy.

Thanks for the help.

Jenny Beattie said...

I'm sure driftwood is most inspiring! I know the beach is.

Our weekend is to be spent staying nearish home because political demos are happening throughout Bangkok this weekend. It's sat evening here now and I haven't seen a single political activist!

I've had to order An Education from Amazon as I can't get it here!

I hope your w/e plans are fruitful.

Chris Stovell said...

I like a good 'To Do' list! I might adopt yours except for the gardening. This weekend I'm also completing an assignment, and doing some work on WIP. I'm writing a review for Choc Lit Book Club and I'm going to watch rugby yay!

Anna Scott Graham said...

Wishing you happy planting adn great luck with that short story! I'll be doing dome digging too, editing, maybe some writing if I feel not so overwhelmed by it.

Eating some chocolate cake will help. And my eldest daughter comes home tomorrow, lovely all the way around!

Maybe some new photos of the shed soon? I'd love to see that new chair!

Joanne said...

I clicked back over to the link and noticed your additional photos link there. What a charming place you've got going on. Very inspiring. I like the idea of driftwood too. I know someone who paints beach scenes on pieces of driftwood, very pretty. Have a nice weekend!

Karen said...

I need to write a story for said group this weekend!

I'm looking forward to watching An Education this evening :o)

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

jj - I love driftwood too and Rob and the children keep finding me beautiful pieces.

Glad you haven't come across any political activists yet, and I hope your weekend remains relaxing and calm.

chris - You seem to be very busy too. Good luck with all your 'To Do' bits and hope the rugby goes well.

anna - good luck with the editing, planting and writing.

My son is back next weekend and I can't wait. Maybe I'll have some chocolate cake then too to celebrate.

Will sort some photos soon of the untidy inside of the shed :)

joanne - thanks for the lovely comments about my shed. I love driftwood in all its guises and like the idea of painted pieces.

karen - me too, I haven't started on the next one too.

You'll love An Education, it's so well written and acted. I'll watch it again soon I'm sure.

Flowerpot said...

sorting things out post holiday! I loved An Education.

Faye said...

Love, love, love An Education. It would have been just fine if Carey Mulligan had gotten a nod at the Academy Awards. Who among us hasn't gotten distracted by an "older" man when just a school girl? Mine was a computer programmer who wanted to take me to the Jersey shore for a weekend, much to my guardian's dismay. :-)

Weekend plans? Not as ambitious as yours, Debs. Re-runs of Law and Order Special Victims Unit, laundry and some yard cleanup if the sun comes out. Enjoy yours!

DJ Kirkby said...

I hope you get lots of writing done! I'm still not writing at the moment, except for the occasional article for the PR Grafitti site. I've got a Samsung N140 and just love it, now all I need is a shed office to go with it and I'll be satisifed :)

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

flowerpot - hoping you had a lovely time.

I thought An Education was such a well made film and will definately watch it again.

faye - ooh your computer programmer sounds interesting.

Your plans sound good to me.

dj - I've done some writing, but not as much as I'd like, so I'm hoping to rectify that later this afternoon. I have done all the planting I was wanting to do though.

Suzanne Ross Jones said...

Sounds like a busy weekend.

Have everything crossed for good news about your story soon.

X

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

suzanne - busy, but relaxing too.

Thanks.x

Liane Spicer said...

I'm always on the lookout for good film recommendations... An Education is going on my list.

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

liane - I love this film and will watch it again. I hope you enjoy it.