Tuesday 26 February 2008

Bleary Eyed & Still Editing

As I relaxed in my bath last night enjoying my Jude Deveraux book (I'm completely absorbed by it) ds announced through the door that he needed my help. Naturally I told him that I would be five minutes - where does the time go when either reading a good book or involved in attempting to write one - half an hour later my cooling bath was interrupted once more.

"Mum, I need you to come and help me now," he said as politely as he could manage.

I dressed, Grumpy growled as he was firmly ensconced in his bed and together we ambled downstairs and I ended up faffing about helping J with his CV (some school project) and a covering letter. That done I was about to go to bed (bearing in mind this is now midnight) when J announced that he also needs a passport size photo of himself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Yes, I know I've now used up my quota of exclamation marks.

"What now?"
"Yes, I need it now. I have to give it in at school tomorrow."

Now I don't know about you but by 11pm my brain is closing down and at midnight I really am not in the best frame of mind to start trying to think where I might have put passport photos. Needless to say, I did find one - thanks to the fact that I only reapplied for new passports two months ago for J & S - and told him in no uncertain terms to get more organised. I wouldn't mind so much but he's had NINE days off. NINE DAYS.

This morning I look worse than I have been recently and believe me when I tell you that I look as rough as I feel. However, I have to gather myself as I am due back at work on Thursday and fully intend to be there.

I'm still editing and believe that I'm tightening and polishing T&OL and even though I'm reading it for the umpteenth time I'm enjoying meeting the characters again. Only another 180 pages to work through.

15 comments:

Jenny Beattie said...

This sounds uncannily like my son. I hope their organisational skills get better... Good luck with yours.
JJx

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

jj - LOL, so do I, best of luck with yours too.

david mcmahon said...

Yep, I'm a Dad of three. I know how it goes.

Interested in your editing process. I've just written my second novel for Penguin and I self-edit before I submit my manuscripts.....

Lane Mathias said...

Nobody is allowed to talk to me after 11pm. It's the law:-)

Why do they always leave stuff like that until the last minute? Grr.

Hope you're feeling better and well done with the editing. You had 223 pages to go - only the other day!

Marcie Steele said...

It is nice meeting them again isn't it I'm halfway through again and amaze myself how much is going on. Good luck with the last pages x

HelenMWalters said...

My brain starts closing down around 9pm to be honest!

Anonymous said...

Good Luck debs, Sounds like you are doing a great job!

Christina Phillips said...

Ack! My son does this to me too! Is it a boy thing I wonder? and as for my brain, it's completely shut down by 10.30!!

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

david mcmahon - they can be quite exasperating, can't they?

Good luck with your second book. I just hope that I'm improving my work with my editing and not taking anything away.

lane - nobody likes to talk to me in the morning as I'm even more grouchy then than late at night (poor them). It drives me mad but it doesn't matter how much I moan he still manages to leave everything to the last minute.

Editing coming along slowly, have about 170 pages still to do.

l-plate author - good luck with yours too. We seem to be making steady progress with this editing.

helenmh - I'm going to have to shut down earlier soon as I'm about to start longer days at work.

motherx - thanks, here's hoping that I am.

christina phillips - I think it could be as my daughter is far more organised.

Karen said...

That sounds SO familiar - I've had requests for cooking ingredients, photos of bizarre objects for projects, and large sums of money for school trips, all at the eleventh hour before now! Grrr.

At least your editing is going well :o)

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

karen - why do they do it? Surely we would be less grouchy if given a little time to find these items?

Thankfully the editing is coming along fine, a little slower that I would have liked but better than nothing.

Anonymous said...

Hope you are feeling better now debs. You cant look worse than me at this moment...Im all red eyed and itching!

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

motherx - I am feeling slightly better, thanks. You don't sound at all well though.

Unknown said...

keep going with that editing, Debs, it's come out beautifully - and well polished!

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

absolute vanilla (& atyllah) - I shall do, thanks.