Friday 1 February 2008

My favourite evening of the week!

I'm so excited - as I inevitably am on a Friday evening - I can't wait to slump, glass of rose in hand and guffaw at Jam & Jerusalem, followed by Moving Wallpaper and Echo Beach. I've just returned from dropping ds off for training at his part-time job and could see the lights from both Guernsey (from where I dropped him off) and France (when nearly at home). You can usually see them clearer before bad weather (I think that's right, though probably a load of old cobblers, I'll believe anything).

It's so damn cold here (although I appreciate that it is probably warmer than most places in the UK) and our oil is dangerously low. Dh did order a delivery, as no doubt did 95% of the rest of the population once seeing the weather forecast and they told him that they can't deliver until Tuesday. TUESDAY! I only hope that we don't run out before then. I don't do cold/wind/rain/diets...

Talking of diets, I had an extremely unsettling shock this morning when entering the small corridor where the two ladies loos are at work. Strolling in, minding my own business only to be greeted by an aging hag who turned out to be me. Who the hell decided that it would be a good idea to put a full length mirror on the wall facing you as you walked in, especially without giving prior warning that it was there.

On the way out though, I couldn't help having a sneaky peak at how I looked from behind...well, if that isn't a writer's bum then I don't know what is? When did I get to look like this? WHEN! To be honest, I think I've been this way for a while but it's only since moving offices and merging with three other companies, two of which seem to only employ 18 year old, six foot, size 6 model types... SO damned depressing. That's it, I'm off to the fridge to find the wine.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please dont talk to me about DIETS. I know practically every diet pill and potion on the market!
I look in shop windows and think "Gross! that cant be me! I look so OLD!" I diet prob half heartedly for one week, then stuff my face with crisps, greasy chicken and chocolate the next! No Willpower and it doesnt help when D says "Oh you should do some exercise! you look better and are much more confident when you are IN SHAPE!" Now that is HARSH! (we are divorcing next week!) Diets are Dire, Depress, Disgusting!...yet I keep on thinking I can look like I did at 29....xx

HelenMWalters said...

Wine is the only answer. (unless you count chocolate!)

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

motherx - lol, I am so like you. I usually decide to diet after finishing a meal and then the next day half heartedly do my thing but apart from once or twice in the distant past, I never stick to it and then over compensate.

helenmh - I totally agree, wine and chocolate are my vices of choice every time.

Fiona Mackenzie. Writer said...

I thought Bridget was about 29 when I meet her at the wannabe lunch!

Debs - You must not look in mirrors in the ladies!

You know they don't really reflect what we look like. It's something scientific - to do with the kind of bulbs they use for lighting. I promise.

Annieye said...

I wouldn't worry Debs. It's obvious the mirror is a reject and distorts everything

Hope your oil arrives before you run out.

Caroline said...

Writer's bum! OMG! I have checked and I have it too!!!!!!

I wonder if it's too early to open a bottle of wine?

Lane Mathias said...

Unexpected mirror situations are shocking. Shouldn't be allowed!

I'm so glad you like Jam and Jerusalem. I don't know anyone else who does and it's wonderful. Don't you just know all those characters?!

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

fiona - I like your explanation and shall choose to believe it!

annieye - I shall believe yours too as it makes me feel much better. I've checked the oil and think we might be ok, hope so.

caroline - isn't it dreadful, I've never thought of myself having a big bum before. I don't care what time it is, I'm off to find a glass to fill.

lane - I just love it and you're s right, all of the characters do remind me of at least one person, sometimes several.

Liane Spicer said...

Wine and choc - the comforters of this female soul!

I've been doing okay weight-wise over the last months, actually lost a few pounds so that I have to start looking for smaller clothes... BUT! The weight loss has sabotaged my neck! There's a mirror on the door of my office (as if I don't have enough to deal with) and when I glance at it and see the neck...

Which do I prefer? Smooth neck and fat body? Or slimmer body and wrecked neck? Mirrors should be banned!

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

wordtryst - I'm very much a chocolate and wine person too, though how I shall do trying to give up chocolate for the whole of Lent Im not quite sure.

Good for you re your weight, that's why I'm giving up so much for Lent, I desperately need to lose a stone (or two!). It's a wonderful feeling being able to buy a smaller sized clothes. I hate mirrors and definately think they should be banned. Damn things!