Monday 18 February 2008

Legend, Mind maps & being dizzy

Last week at work, a colleague and I were discussing our favourite authors (we only had a minute or two so I could only rattle off a couple) and she told me about a writer whose books she simply adores. I hadn't heard of Jude Deveraux (I have now, of course) and so I've put her novel, Legend right to the top of my three tbr piles and will start reading it sometime today. I think I'm going to enjoy it too.

I spent as much time yesterday as my dizziness would allow (yes, I'm feeling more dizzy than usual thanks to this ghastly bout of Shingles) editing T&OL and am gradually getting there. I love the characters in it (I probably shouldn't say that but they're so real to me) and am quite happy to be editing it yet again. I have sent the first three chapters out and know that I have to cut the apron strings eventually either because an agent actually likes it enough (one can dream) or simply because no one does and I need to forget about it altogether (this will be hard as it's my first born - book-wise that is).

I've also been working on mind maps for each novel and writing them out by hand, unfortunately they end up being a complete mess as my handwriting isn't the best and I keep remembering different things I want to add in, or take out. This morning, as I was blogging I was thrilled to find a great piece of software here, Yvonne and have now downloaded this and shall give it a go and see how well I do. It can only help.

9 comments:

Yvonne said...

Yay! I found it really helpful, hope you do too. Fair play for sending out the first three chapters, I'm nervous about hitting that stage!

Anonymous said...

Well done for sending out the three chapters.

I love mind maps takes me back to the ICSA days!

HelenMWalters said...

I've never heard of Jude Deveraux either. So many writers, so little time! Sorry to hear about the shingles - what a nightmare, hope you feel better soon.

Lane Mathias said...

Well done for sending out three chapters:-) I've got everything crossed for you.

I haven't really used mind mapping but it looks helpful. I'll give it a go. Thanks:-)

Hope the shingles is easing.

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

yvonne - was wanting to work on mind maps today but have had someone (poor b-i-l) working on computer as have couldnt get online. All fixed now so will get on with it.

andrea - thanks, I shall just have to wait and see and work on keep working on it for now. Re Mind maps, it takes me back too. So glad those exams are over with.

helenmh - thanks, am feeling lousy. I know what you mean re to many writers, I had more books arriving today too. Quickly added them to tbr piles and hid the box before dh saw!!

lane - thanks v much. I shall keep on sending and hope for the best.

I think these mind maps look great and look forward to being more organised with them.

Shingles still v sore and feeling dizzy too but hopefully may feel a bit better tomorrow.

Christina Phillips said...

Good luck with your partial, Debs!

I love Jude Deveraux - first one of hers I read was An Angel for Emily, which totally hooked me!

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

christina - thanks. I am enjoying reading Legend and can't believe I never heard of her before now.

Annieye said...

Well done Debs for sending out your chapers. I've sent out the syn and first 10K words of Twisted Garlands for an appraisal by Real Writers.

I know just what you mean about getting involved with your characters. I do too.

I'll have a look at the mind-mapping. Might be a bit easier to use than my present method involving A3 sheets of paper stuck together and then put around the utility room walls covered in different coloured post-it notes!

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

annieye - best of luck with your appraisal. I shall look into Real Writers and maybe send them BS to have a look at.

I can just picture your utility room walls, sounds very like my shed!