Friday 29 July 2011

St Malo With Himself

Yesterday it was my gorgeous husband's birthday and he wanted to go to St Malo for lunch with me. How could I refuse?

We arrived at 11.30 (1 hr ahead of us in Jersey/UK) and after a bit of a wander around the town and a drink, we finally decided to have lunch at Les Voyageurs (near to Chateau Briand - turn right at the main entrance to the walled town). I hadn't eaten there before and I'll definitely be going again. The food was delicious, as was the bottle of rose I managed to consume (with a little help from Himself, I hasten to add) and we relaxed in the sun as we slowly worked our way through several courses. Then it was off to find some white peaches for his mum and chocolate for my daughter/son.

Whilst we were sitting having yet another drink at yet another bar, Rob spotted a policeman from the Hampshire Constabulary and being a nosy chap (Rob, not the policeman) he asked him what he was doing in St Malo. Apparently he'd been partrolling the streets with a couple of the French Gendarmerie for three weeks to help with any undesirable british holidaymakers. What a clever idea.

Our last visit was to L'Absinthe, a small bar where the floor is covered in fine sand and you sit around huge barrels with parasols even though it's inside. Highly recommended.

On the boat on the way home, we were invited up to the wheelhouse by the captain - Rob knows a few of them - and he was surprised when I didn't want to join him. The sea, although calm, was a little choppy and I'm happiest sitting down when the boat moves (at all!). When Rob came back and said for the umpteenth time, "You would have loved it, you should have come to the wheelhouse." I finally said, "How would you feel if I asked you to come with me to a literary festival so you could listen to one of the authors giving a reading from a romantic novel?" He grimaced. "That's exactly how I feel at the thought of spending time in a wheelhouse hearing about how a ship's engine works." "Oh, I see what you mean," he replied. Bless!

Today I'm editing, and tomorrow, and the next day... However I've done more than enough for the timebeing and the sun is shining, so I'm going to go and make the most of it and read the latest Dorothy Koomson novel that I'm going to be reviewing for Novelicious this Thursday. There'll also be my interview with her and a piece on Dorothy's writing space, as well as a book giveaway, so do try and visit the site if you can.

PS Does anyone know how I can preserve an ivy leaf? (Odd request, I know!)

PPS I promise I'll catch up with all your blogs this week. x

17 comments:

Faye said...

First the ivy leaf-I used to dry roses by carefully covering with epsom's salts--colors stayed lovely. Left about a week and then carefully dust off salts.

Your day's outing sounded very low key and just perfect. Is this an annual birthday tradition? Look forward to Noveliscious Thursday. The snoop in me loves seeing where writers write.

Carol said...

Sounds like a wonderful day.

Am I right in thinking you can varnish the Ivy?

have a good weekend

Faye said...

Correction in drying advice--it's silica gel crystals (found in crafting stores)NOT epsom's salts. It has been many years since I messed with drying roses. Some plants lose their color or turn brown with this method--just have to experiment.

Chris Stovell said...

I don't know about the ivy leaf but I think you preserved that day beautifully, Debs! Happy birthday to himself, celebrated in style.

Sue Guiney said...

I've never been to St Malo, but it looks marvelous. I've also been thinking about Jersey and wondering what it's like there. I must remember to ask you some day...

Rosemary Gemmell said...

What a wonderful day out it sounds, Debs - I loved your description of it all.

Sorry I can't help with the ivy leaf, altough I'll be reading the answers!

Troy said...

What a great idea for a day out!

And regarding your question - how about photographing both sides?

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

Faye - thanks for the advice, I'll certainly look into it.

Dizzy c - oh I didn't know that, thanks.

Chris - we had a wonderful day.

Sue - St Malo is a lovely walled-in town and as for Jersey it has some beautiful areas, which I'll happily tell you about if ever you decide to visit.

Rosemary - it was great fun and helped by the glorious weather.

Troy - that's a good idea, I've only photographed the front so far.

Jen said...

Oh, OH! Proper jealous now. I think one of the very best things about living in Jersey is being able to hop over to St Malo for lunch. Happy Belated Birthday to Himself :0)

Suzanne Ross Jones said...

Sounds like a lovely day.

I was going to suggest pressing the leaf in a book, but I see you've had some much better suggestions.

XX

Flowerpot said...

St Malo sounds a wonderful day - so gld you both enjoyed it. Glad everyone else has suggestions on ivy leaf pressings - I was giong to suggest pressing it ina book too!

Shirley Wells said...

I'm no help with the ivy leaf - sorry! - but I'm glad you had such a lovely day. It sounds wonderful!

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

Jen -it is fabulous being so close, but we don'T take advantage of it nearly enough. That said, I am off there again in Sept!

Suzanne -thanks, and also for your advice, I may just do that.

Flowerpot - thank you.

Shirley - we had a great day out.

Phillipa Ashley said...

Your lunch sounds wonderful - I love St Malo and we have a picture of it over our fireplace. :)

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

Phillips - how wonderful that you have a picture of St Malo above your fireplace. I can't wait to visit again, sometime in September with the girls.

Melissa Amateis said...

It looks gorgeous. Sigh...I need to get back to Europe, and soon!

And I would have been terribly bored by learning how the engine works in the boat house, too! lol

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

Melissa - St Malo is lovely and definitely worth a visit.