Monday 4 May 2009

9987 by Nik Jones

I recently won a copy of this incredible book by Nik Jones. I was looking forward to reading it, but had no idea what to expect, and it wasn't until I started reading that I even understood the meaning of the title.

Every so often I blog about a book I've enjoyed reading, and will recommend it. However, I don't enjoy all the books I read, and, if I haven't, I don't criticize it, mainly because, a) who am I, as an unpublished writer, to do such a thing to someone who has been successful enough to be published, and, b) now I know how hard it is to write a book in the first place, I don't feel right to say anything negative about anyone elses work. I would rather just say nothing at all.

This book, on the other hand, grabbed me from the first intriguing sentence, dragging me deeper and deeper into the dark, and increasingly chilling world of the protagonist, to the very last words of the final sentence. I felt like I was watching from the shadows, too mesmerised to be able to put it down, as each disturbing scene played out in front of me.

To me, a good book is one that you are unable to stop reading. It makes you want to keep turning each page, and, when you do reach the end, it's a book that haunts you and stays in your mind. This is that book.

18 comments:

HelenMWalters said...

Blimey! I'm thinking now that I should definitely read this one!

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

helen - it's certainly dark, but very good.

Anna Scott Graham said...

what a great review... and so true. if you can't put it down, there you are...

Anonymous said...

Sounds like it could be a book to have on my shelves too. Thanks for this write-up, I'm always on the look out for interesting books.

CJ xx

Melissa Amateis said...

It's rare that I find a book like that - but I love it when I do.

DAB said...

I like dark books, I'll hunt it down :) Tfx

DJ Kirkby said...

It really is such a fabulous book!

Chris Stovell said...

I feel exactly the same way about reviewing books so your recommendation of this one means something. I'll have to read it now!

(And thanks, Debs, you are always so complimentary about Tom's work, it's appreciated.)

claire p said...

Bugger! Another one to go on the endless list!!!

Liane Spicer said...

Wow. That's going on my wish list right now! I'm in the mood for dark these days.

Lane Mathias said...

Great review Debs. Will put it on the list.

Fionnuala said...

Crikey - off to Amazon now!!! Fx

watching9987 said...

Wow. thatnkyouthankyouthankyou. I'm soooooooo chuffed you enjoyed it. It is truely terrifying to have someone reading your book. Really. But hey, I'm not complaining, it's what we all dream of.

And on the upside, hopefully, it'll prove that if THAT can get published there is hope for everyone.

Muchos gracias Debs. And geet loads of love!

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

anna - it certainly was unputdownable!

crystal jigsaw - if you like interesting books, you'll love this.

melissa m - yes, they don't come around often enough, do they?

tf - I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

dj - I agree with you, it was fab.

chrish - do get it, it's definately worth a read.

I mean it when I say, I've promised myself one of Tom's paintings, R loves them too.

claire - sorry, but it's worth getting.

liane - well, it's definately dark. Nothing fluffy about this book.

lane - thanks, it was so good.

fionnuala - good for you, it's worth getting.

watching9987 - my pleasure, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Clever you for writing such an excellent book.

Unknown said...

Wow. What a brilliant review. Must get that one!

Faye said...

When I find a book like this feel so fortunate. And, I always want to pass along to someone else who may enjoy it the way I have. Always wish I was the one reading the book for the first time. I've read two memorable books just in the last couple of weeks that, as you say, catch and keep you from the first sentence.

Hope your writer workshops are very satisfying experiences. Way to go Mum! Great gift.

Flowerpot said...

I read Rose Petal Soup recently by Sarah Harrison and thought - my God her writing has just got better and better. I hung on every word....

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

shirley - it was so good.

faye - I just wish I could write something that would catch someone from the first sentence too :)

I'm so looking forward to the writing course, I can't wait.

flowerpot - thanks for the tip. I haven't read one of her books for ages, so will definately put this on the wish list.