Monday 9 May 2011

66th Anniversary of the Liberation of Jersey

Today is Liberation Day in Jersey.

Liberation day was celebrated yesterday in Guernsey as they were liberated the day before we were. Around the island people will hoist their Jersey flags - I took this picture a few moments ago of ours - and spending the day taking part in the 66th anniversary celebrations which take place all over the island.

Some of the parish churches allow you to go and take turns ringing the church bells. I've done this at our parish and it's a little nerve-wracking climbing the ancient stone, narrow steps to get up to the ropes.

Various German bunkers will be open for visitors to go and have a look around and as always there's the fascinating, but haunting Jersey War Tunnels which is definitely the place to go if either the Occupation or WW2 interests you at all.

There's also been a four day Liberation Music Festival running from 6-9 May, in fact when Rob and I were at Gatwick going to our Gate to Sorrento, we passed Gate 55 (usually the one to Jersey) and saw James and Ola Jordan who were coming over for the Jersey Music Festival for L'Histoire du Tango at the Jersey Opera House.

So Happy Liberation Day to everyone who'll be celebrating, whether they can be here in the island today, or not and to James especially x

14 comments:

Faye said...

Makes me want to re-watch "Island at War" (think that's the title--it's been a while). Reading about your WW II women "jackdaws" now. Hopefully this holiday will give you another day to ease back in the working world, Debs. Enjoy!

Anna Scott Graham said...

What a great article you linked to; a very important day indeed! Well done on climbing that staircase too... :)))

HelenMWalters said...

Happy Liberation Day to all of you.

Talli Roland said...

Happy Liberation Day, Jersey! And to you and Grumps!

Rosemary Gemmell said...

I love Jersey, Debs, and I remember the visit we made to the War Tunnels many years ago - very haunting, as you say.

Enjoy your festivities!

Melissa Amateis said...

Happy Liberation Day!!! I'd love to have a look at those tunnels...

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

faye - I love that series too, but don't have it on dvd. I've just finished reading The Beauty Chorus today, fabulous book about the ATA in WW2 delivering planes all over England. Will be reviewing it for Thurs.

anna - thanks. I had sore knees for days after - not because I crawled, but because my legs tensed so much climbing the stairs. Such a wuss!

helen - thank you.

talli - thanks from me and from him!

rosemary - it's incredible there and there's even more to see now.

melissa - if you do come over, let me know and I'll take you there.

Chris Stovell said...

Happy Liberation Day! Ooh, I still haven't made it to Jersey. Sailed as far as Alderney, so must try to visit Jersey too.

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

chris - I hope you do manage to get here, and if you do, please give me a call.

Pauline Barclay said...

Hi Debs, loved your Blog and having been to Jersey and the tunnels, I can understand the importance of your celebrations. Hope you had a great time! x

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

pauline - thanks for saying so.

It is a major celebration over here as I'm sure you can imagine.

Flowerpot said...

Happy Liberation day - always good to hear about that sort of thing!

Troy said...

Oh dear! I'm a day late but belated Happy Liberation Day to all the Troys in Jersey. A day worth celebrating.

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

flowerpot - thank you.

troy - on behalf of al the Troys, thank you.