Thursday 31 January 2008

Dh's Wishful Thinking

Last night I asked dh to make a note to remind me to put the dryer on this morning. Before bed I also added a couple of bits of shopping to the list without reading it, ie bread, goats milk, etc. This morning I saw the note and read it for the first time. I wish it was that easy to win the lottery by simply making a note to do so. Or is this his way of positive thinking? I'm not sure. It would be lovely though, then I could give up my job and spend the day writing in the shed. Ahhh, now who's doing the wishful thinking?

I needed some money today (so what's new) and stopped at the cashpoint on the way home. The wind was howling and the rain almost horizontal as I ran up to wait my turn behind two young girls. Now, I don't know about you but it usually takes me a matter of seconds to put in card/press required PIN number/press required action/amount/etc and then leave. You would also think that standing in freezing cold sleet, wind etc would make someone bloody well move themselves... No, apparently not. These two giggled and changed their minds several times and must have been as wet and wind-swept as I was.

Needless to say that dd had come with me to the cashpoint but had left me there within a very short period of time and run off to the nearest shop where I joined her an age later, doing a remarkably thorough impression of a bag lady having been wrestled through an extremely thick hedge backwards. Dd was most amused and had to hold her sides she laughed so much. I gave a forced flicker of a smile until I caught my horrendous reflection in the shop shelving.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel that way every time I look in the mirror, think to myself, "Wow that light must be harsh! surely I cant have that many lines!"....getting older is so dire.
Also cant stand those people that hold up the cashpoint lines, wonder what on earth they can be up to! D is always a lot more vocal about it and asks them if they are trying to steal peoples bank details!! (emb.)

Phillipa said...

I love your dh's Win Lottery note. Sorry you got drenched at the cashpoint. I always wonder about these women in smart coats who look glam in any weather and have perfectly coiffed hair. While I am in a Craghopper with my hair as wild as a witch.

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

motherx - I wish I could be more like your dh and say something. Instead I just stood there getting wetter and wetter fuming quietly to myself as I waited.

phillipa - I have to say that I'm a bit of a Craghopper (love that name, never heard it before). I especially was yesterday.

Annieye said...

I frequently have to stop myself saying "thank you" at the cash machine. A while ago I stood behind a man who actually said it, and cleared his throat to make out he was going to cough.

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

annieye - I know, I'm the same, lol. I always feel I'm being watched too as they have those security cameras in them!