Monday 21 April 2008

BAFTAs, Edits & Drink Machines

Last night I was thrilled to watch Dame Eileen Atkins collect her well-deserved first Bafta. Having thoroughly enjoyed Cranford, I ended up buying the DVD so that I could watch it whenever I felt the need to. What I find hard to believe was that she had to wait 39 years since her last nomination. Quite incredible.

I'm slowly working through my copy of Writing the Breakout Novel by Donald Maas and don't want to miss a single piece of his valuable advice. I hope that I'm making the best use of all the information being gleaned from this book during my editing of RP as I only have three and a half months until I need to send my m/s off to the New Writers' Scheme for their excellent critique.

Today at work we all received an email advising us that we now have a drinks vending machine in our main kitchen and stating that if any of us had a drink problem to kindly contact the sender who will do his best to help. Bless him, I'm sure he only meant for us to ask for help with regard to the machine but you just know that some bright spark will have felt compelled to send him a witty reply.

11 comments:

Yvonne said...

Great idea about working through the critique book before starting the edit, I've found my editing bible invaluable when editing!

HelenMWalters said...

I love the BAFTAs, but am I the only one who cries helplessly when they do the tribute to people who died in the previous year? I didn't even know Anton Rodgers was dead, and the final clip of Anthony Minghella totally finished me off I'm afraid x

Kerry said...

We watched the Bafta's last night too. Brilliant telly! My favourite part was when the very attractive blonde in a chic black suit got up to collect (best doc I think) and then the camera panned down to reveal slamon pink knee boots that made us both independantly gasp in horror, as Ashman said,

"You offendeth mine eyes!" Please tell me you saw them too??

Lane Mathias said...

I missed Cranford completely. Yet another on the list of 'must sees':-)

Love that memo. Think he might well get a couple of emails:-)

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

yvonne - the scary thing is that it's pointing out all that I don't know. I shall perservere.

helenmh - oh me too. I still can't believe that Anthony Minghella died. So tragic.

kerry - I know, wasn't it brilliant. I do love that sort of thing.

lane - Cranford was lovely and when you want something calming and wholesome to watch (wholesome isn't the right word but my brain hasn't kicked in yet) it is perfect for a chill out day or evening.

Karen said...

I didn't know Anton Rogers had died either. Loved Cranford though :o)

I thought the vending machine comment was funny - I can just imagine the feedback!

Jill Steeples said...

Ooh, you've reminded me. I've still got the Baftas to watch.

Must put that book on my list too, sounds good. Everytime you mention the New Writers' Scheme I get a bit twitchy realising how much I've yet to do!

Leigh Russell said...

Missed Cranford. Like the email about the drinks machine! I was thinking of you (and Bernard Shaw) when I posted on my blog today.

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

maddie moon - I really must get a move on for the NWS, in fact I think I shall go to the shed and get on with it in a mo.

leigh russell - I've left a comment on your blog. Your desk sounds excellent.

Tamsyn Murray said...

Drink problem? He might get more than he bargained for :-)
What's yhis New Writers Scheme then?

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

tam - thanks for visiting and your comment. The scheme allows unpublished authors to send a full-length manuscript for appraisal once a year. You have to be a member and the membership is usually filled (limit of 250) quite early each year. It is well worth while. You can find all the info on the Romantic Novelists Association website at: http://www.rna-uk.org/index.php?page=nws