Friday 27 June 2008

Heaven is a Packet of Maltesers

I'm plowing my way through a packet of Maltesers, a box would have been better. They're perfectly cooled and straight from the fridge just as I like them. Why? Because I'm all stressy and trying not to be and as I don't smoke (gave up nearly six years ago) I need something to calm me. Yes, I know it isn't clever to comfort oneself with chocolate but I can't help myself today.

I've spent the afternoon going through a four page list to check off everything that J needs for his trip. I honestly thought we had everything but now find that we have several bits that still need to be bought and so J will have to race into town tomorrow morning. We have a family lunch to go to then it will be back home to pack enough equipment to cover half his floor space in his bedroom into a rucksack. No idea how this is going to happen and as I'm not Samantha from Bewitched (showing my age here) I fear it will take a bit of planning bearing in mind that they have to leave a quarter of the space in the rucksack for food? How? Nay, where is this space going to come from?

Can you tell that I've never camped before, well apart from three days at Reading Rock Festival years ago when a crowd of us went over and I was told in no uncertain terms that I wasn't allowed to join them ever again. Well, how was I supposed to know that the water in the large plastic container was for drinking only. Did they honestly expect me not to wash before getting dressed? Did no one care that it was imperative that I applied my makeup before trotting out into a crowd of over 80,000people? Obviously not.

I've not done any editing at all today. Tomorrow, when I've collected S at 11 from a sleep-over, family at 12.20 to go to lunch, packed, then dropped J at his dad's, maybe, just maybe I'll have a second to get through a couple of pages. R is off to Guernsey for the day with m-i-l as they are going to visit her relatives and take a bonnet and bloomers (don't ask) to the museum. Oh, I feel a need for more chocolate and I don't have any left.

14 comments:

Yvonne said...

Sounds like that chocolate is 100% medicinal. I don't do camping either and I'd be lost with a rucksack. My fella has a good tip - roll each piece of clothing up tightly. Doesn't crease them and creates more room. Am so impressed that you're determined to edit after being so busy - to me that would be the perfect excuse to put it off. Have a great weekend!

Unknown said...

Hi, found my way to your shed from Angie's blog. I'm enjoying reading it. Somehow, I think your shed is a whole lot more comforatable than the one in my yard.

They expected you not to shower. That's very disconcerting.

Stop on by if you get the chance. Have fun camping.

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

yvonne - it certainly is. Rolling the clothing up is a brilliant idea, I'll do that and at least it's a way to pack that J will be able to copy.

chad aaron sayban - thanks for visiting my blog. My shed is messy but comfortable and so peaceful, I love it and go there every chance I get.

Thankfully it's not me camping (horrors) but my son who is going trekking for nearly 5 weeks in Cambodia/Thailand.

HelenMWalters said...

I've hardly done any writing today either. Spent the morning taking the cat to the vet. Had my uncle over this afternoon sorting out our plumbing crises. Before I knew what was happening, the day was over.

Lane Mathias said...

If only we could all wiggle our noses like Samantha and fix everything. *sigh*

Hope you get it all sorted and packed Debs. You've got a busy schedule at the moment. Those Maltesers are more than deserved!:-)

Have a good weekend and hope you get some editing done. x

Jenny Beattie said...

Oooh I love Maltesers. Perfect comfort food.

Tamsyn Murray said...

Festival camping is in a breed of its own. I never understand about the makeup when one's hair is plastered to one's head but as I'm not one for lippy and the like on a day-to-day basis, maybe that explains it.
Hope J has a fabulous trip - you know he will - and remembers to keep in touch...

Michelle said...

Hope J has a fantastic time, it will be a chapter in his life he will never forget. Sending you virtual Maltesers through cyberspace to help with the stresses!
I discovered camping with kids last year and have agreed to it on a short term, only when it is sunny basis while they are young and they think it is fab!

Casdok said...

Oh i loved Samantha from Bewitched!
Sounds like you are busy and deserve some chocolate!

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

helenmh - hope you and the cat are ok after the visit to the vet. It's amazing how quickly the day passes when there's so much to do.

lane - I certainly need the comfort of them right now.

Have been in shed but not got much done unfortunately.

mickmouse - thanks. I know he will have a wonderful time and think he's so lucky to have this opportunity.

Your camping sounds like it will be fun too.

casdok - I do too, and I wouldn't mind her powers right now.

jj - they are, aren't they.

tam - thanks v much. The boys don't keep in touch, which is probably a good thing as I shall be fine if I can just get on with things until he gets back.

Annieye said...

Groan .... my book cover diet was going fine until I read your blog. I just love Maltesers and would kill for a family size pack right now. Please save a few for me Debs!

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

annieye - so sorry for mentioning Maltesers. Of course I shall save some for you. Dx

Anonymous said...

Hope he has a fantastic time!! Maltesers are ok arent they? (not too many calories compared to the dreaded Champagne Truffles, or Cocco Truffles or any Truffle really...I love them ALL!x

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

motherx - thanks, I'm sure he will. He's getting very excited about going now.

I love them all too. Why can't I prefer something like celery?