Thursday 12 June 2008

Red Pens, Apple Sponge & Sore Toes

I've finished working through RP and tomorrow I'm going to print it off and go through it with a red pen and then after the final check, hopefully have it in the post early next week to the RNA New Writer's Scheme.

S has brought home a gorgeous sponge cake with apple, which we're going to have with hot cups of tea in peace and quiet until J arrives home from his forth round of injections needed for his Cambodia/Thailand trek.

Talking of J (rolls eyes in exasperation) I noticed that he had a swollen toe that had gone purple and despite the irritated request for me to 'chill' I phoned the doctor from work the following morning and booked him an appointment. After at least thirty-seven phone calls to both the house phone and his mobile (well, it felt like that many) with me whispering into the answer phone getting more furious by the minute, he eventually woke up enough to answer the phone. I told him to make sure that the doctor knew that he would be trekking in a humid climate for a month and to let me know what happened.

J phoned me back and said that he had been given some 'red stuff' to wash his toe with but I was surprised when he assured me that the Doctor hadn't given him antibiotics of any sort. Arriving home after work, I noticed a piece of paper on the kitchen table and called J over.

Me: J I thought you said the doctor didn't give you a prescription.
J: What? No, he didnt.
Me (pointing to piece of paper): Well what's that then?
J: Dunno
D (taking a deep breath): It's a prescription.
J: Well how was I to know.
D: Because someone who has taken Alevel English should be able to read the word 'prescription' on the top of the page.
J: Oh

Needless to say, he was immediately sent off with 20 minutes to spare before the chemist closed. Since then S and I have had to remind him practically every time he is supposed to take a damn pill - and I'm letting him go travelling for a month! Thankfully he has a leader (a young girl who the boys were thrilled to meet), a teacher from school and there are ten boys altogether, all of whom appear to be as switched off as my son. I shall not panic. I shall not panic. I shall not panic.

19 comments:

Lane Mathias said...

That's some trip he's got coming up!
You will not panic! You will not panic!

(Well done on getting RP nearly ready to go!)

Marcie Steele said...

Ooh, I love red pen days (mine is a nice purple ink actually)....once I've got over the initial 'is this all crap, I mean scrap' feeling.

Have fun with your pen xx

Anonymous said...

Hang on in there Debs and comfort yourself with the thought that at least J won't end up as a naked bubble dancer in a nightclub... Kids, huh! Hope to see you in a couple of weeks?

Faye said...

Love getting a close-up of your shed. What a great retreat. Is it all season and do you allow visitors?

Hope you don't have to use up too much red ink this weekend.

Yvonne said...

Lol, J reminds me of my brother! He's 30 and he's still completely scattered.

DJ Kirkby said...

OMG! He sounds just like N1S...
Congratulations on getting accepted for inclusion in 'You're not the only one'! That book is a worthy cause is I ever heard of one. I plan to buy as many as I can afford!

DJ Kirkby said...

Ooops I also meant to say good luck with getting RP ready for submission to the RNA.

Carol said...

Oh Debs this did make me laugh!! (Sorry, that wasn't very supportive was it!!)

Don't worry about him....he'll be fine!!

C x

Ps. There is an award for you over at mine :-)

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

lane - I know, isn't he lucky. I wish I was doing something ha exciting.

l-plate author - I know what you mean and just hope that all the pages aren't too scrawled with red.

chris - with him, anything is possible. Looking forward to seeing you v soon. x

faye - it is all season (thankfully) and open to the occasional visitor.

yvonne - it sounds like I have a long wait for him to tune in, another 13 years at least. Oh no.

dj kirkby - thanks v much. I'm ordering a few copies too, have to make the most of it.

carol & chris - I do hope he's ok, I shall have to focus on my fictional world and wait for him to come back.

Thanks for the award, I'll pop over to yours now and have a look.

Jenny Beattie said...

Wow that sounds like a great adventure he's going on. Boys are a bit crap about stuff like that, aren't they?

Tamsyn Murray said...

Kids - who needs em? He'll be fine, you'll be a wreck. 'Tis the way of things.
Good luck with the red pen - don't be too brutal :-)

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

jj - I know, he's so lucky to be going. I don't expect he'll improve with age either but he is a lovely chap even if he's on a different planet most of the time.

tam - thanks, I'm sure he'll have a ball. Red pen getting worn out!

Kerry said...

Good luck with Apple Sponge....Mmmm..sorry mean editing!...not first time I have been distracted by cakey thoughts! :)

HelenMWalters said...

Purple toe doesn't sound good - hope it gets better soon!

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

kerry - apple sponge was delicious and so light. So unlike my baking, I wonder who she takes after.

helenmh - I know, it's not very pleasant but is getting better slowly thanks.

Chris Stovell said...

Congratulations on the anthology and good luck with your NWS t/s. Nice to have that news before you submit it. Got to be a good sign.

Karen said...

I feel panic-stricken just reading that!! Thank goodness he's on the mend :o)

Anonymous said...

That apple sponge sounded so delicious, my mouth is watering. I think perhaps I'd better get off this computer and get me some breakfast. Well done with the book! What an achievement.

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

chrish - thanks v much. This will be my third time sending into the NWS and I've never had a second reading yet, so here's hoping.

karen - it's much better now, but getting him to remember the tablets is a complete pain.

hilary - it was so light and tasty, she's a far better baker than I am. Thanks re the book, I was delighted.