Thursday 13 March 2008

Been Shopping - Again!

Someone in the house was given a WHSmith voucher to 'buy one get one half price' from the Richard & Judy books and left it on the kitchen table (I have a sneaking suspicion that dh is to blame for this, so it's all his fault). Now I'm never one to look a gift horse in the mouth and so off I trotted during my lunchbreak to WHSmith where I chose The Rose of Sebastopol and The House at Riverton.

Unfortunately, I have very little self control when it comes to shopping where books are concerned (and chocolate/handbags/shoes) and was nearing the till when I spotted Pillow Talk, the novel that Freya North won the Romantic Novel of the Year Award for just last month, so naturally I had to have that too. Then delight of delights I happened to find a display of Little Black Dress books, with a "buy one, get one free" offer - sheer bliss - and as I've already enjoyed several of their brilliant books including the brilliant Decent Exposure and Wish You Were Here by Phillipa Ashley, I bought The Men's Guide to the Women's Bathroom by Jo Barrett and Falling Out of Fashion by Karen Yampolsky.




So I now have an even bigger tbr pile (well, three tbr piles...and a smaller one hidden in my bedroom, oh yes and the one in the shed (shhh). However, I refuse to be distracted and fully intend sitting in my shed, laptop in front of me to finish my editing, if not tomorrow then at least on Saturday because if I don't get this script sorted once and for all I shan't have anything remotely worth sending into the competition and the closing day for entries is 1st April - 17 days away.

8 comments:

Lane Mathias said...

That's a nice stack of new books to look forward to!

All the best with the editing this weekend. At least the winds have died down at last:-)

HelenMWalters said...

Are you confessing to five tbr piles?! That makes me feel so much better!

Jill Steeples said...

Oh Debs, I too was seduced by Smiths 'buy one get one half price' offer today. I bought ... Pillow Talk and Then We Came to the End by Joshua Ferris. I've read both of Phillipa Ashley's books and loved them. Reading another LBD at the moment, The Chalet Girl by Kate Lace. Too many books, so little time!

Good luck with the editing!

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

lane - they are gorgeous to look at,the only problem is that I buy them quicker than I manage to read them. Weather is now drizzly but that's far better than those awful winds. Have a great weekend too.

helenmh - yikes, five piles! I really have to stop this book shopping lark or at least hold back until I bring it down to fewer piles.

maddie moon - I loved the Chalet Girl and am looking forward to her next LBD novel. I did think about "And Then We Came To The End" and found it hard to choose. So many books, so little free time to read them. Lovely having such choice though.

Karen said...

I'e just reviewed The Rose of Sebastopol for my newspaper column and can highly recommend it! I've never got on with Freya North, for some reason (her books, not her personally you understand.) I too have a teetering pile of books waiting to be read :o)

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

karen - I'm looking forward to reading TRoS, just not idea when. I have read Freya North in the past but didn't really take to her, though I thought that I would give this one a go. Let you know what I think.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one with teetering piles (of books, thankfully).

Leigh Forbes said...

There is nothing wrong with buying books. It is natural, and normal, and proper, to buy as many books as is necessary for a healthy lifestyle! Whole grain, lean meat, and copious books, that what I say.

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

leigh - thank you for that, I feel much better now. I really to have to stop over indulging both with books and food!