Monday 3 March 2008

Catching Up, Strange Gifts & Being Forgetful

I've so much catching up to do at work and a client over tomorrow for a meeting at 10am but not all the paperwork sorted out. I'll do as Paul McKenna says... though can't for the life of me remember what it is right now... but basically I'll attempt to not spend the evening worrying about the lengthy list of documents I have to prepare between 8am-10am tomorrow morning. It serves me jolly well right, I really should be able to read a calendar by now (I thought the meeting was on Wednesday)!

It's my father's birthday today and dd and I bought him a gift that we thought was lovely. We stupidly showed it to dh who grimaced and said, "Mmm, what's he supposed to do with that?" (It's a small wooden antiquey looking chest). I then called ds to have a look. "What is it?" Not wishing to throw said chest at his head (as that would be unacceptable...!) I replied, "It's a wooden chest, what the hell does it look like?"

Needless to say, my father phoned today to thank me very much, assured me he loved the gift and said that it would have pride of place in the living room and he would store dvds in it. Poor man has received so many obscure gifts from me over the years including: 1940 Bakelite German bunker phone (I haven't seen this since I gave it to him but he assures me it's somewhere very safe); Cactus skeleton (didn't realize they had them) made into a candle holder and come to think of it I haven't seen that for a while and a telescope that he never managed to work and offered to a friend.

I forgot to pass on the gorgeous Busy Bee Award forwarded to me by Tom Foolery - sorry, the brain is in too many places at the moment - and so I would like to pass it on to the truly busy annieye as she never seems to stop working.

12 comments:

HelenMWalters said...

I like the sound of the 1940 Bakelite German phone. it makes a change from socks and smellies for the bath anyway!

Lane Mathias said...

1940 Bakelite German Bunker Phone?? Wow. Sounds great! The chest does too:-)

Good luck with the meeting tomorrow. I'm sure you'll be cool, calm and efficient:-)

(I'm still trying to make out the photo. Is it a cat in food?:-)

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

helenmh - it was rather an interesting phone I suppose. He is so difficult to buy for, but aren't all men.

lane - I suppose he would have liked it more if he collected phones or bakelite but at least he's interested in the war.

Thanks re the meeting, I will be fine when the time comes, I usually am.

It is a cat in food. S thought it was a rabbit.

Chris Stovell said...

Hope the meeting goes well. You've put some real thought into coming up with original ideas for your dad.

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

chrish - the meeting did go well, thanks. I managed to finish the paperwork needed and copy it for those attending with only 10 mins to spare!

DAB said...

Hope you meeting went well. TFX

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

tom foolery - it did thanks, but I only just managed to be ready with minutes to spare.

elizabeth said...

I love random gifts - they are the best ones I find.

As a joke, my mother gave my spartan (aka boyfriend) a pair of knitted socks in baby blue with little snoopy heads as pompoms about the ankle that tie in a bow. He works on the road a lot and gets cold feet. He wears them nearly every day.

Even funnier that his usual attire is so carefully selected and very fashionable.

I just love him in them. It's adorable.

PS. I'd love a cactus skeleton candle holder... phone sounds cool too ;-)

Unknown said...

The chest sounds perfect. What do men know!!!

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

elizabeth - the spartan's socks sound glorious and how wonderful that he loves them so much.

liz fenwick - thanks. Oh you're so right too. My father insists that he loves it, bless, well he would do I suppose.

Karen said...

The 1940 Bakelite German phone sounds like an ideal present for my husband - who is notoriously difficult to buy for! Thanks for the idea :o)

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

karen - glad to be of help. I bought Dad's from an antique fair over here.